Job Title: Head of Strategy & Operations
Director/Senior Director – Head of Strategy & Operations
Global Drug Discovery & External Innovation (GDDEI)
GDDEI is going through a transformational change building a coherent global function responsible from idea generation to clinical proof of concept. The function has an aggressive growth agenda and working of multiple pillars to drive scientific and operational excellence; building an early portfolio as well as effective organizational structure and governance.
The head of Operations and Strategy will report directly to the head of GDDEI. The individual will be an integral member of the leadership team and a key driver to define and facilitate the execution of GDDEI vision and growth strategy. The function will ensure strategic and operational alignment, accountability and focus needed for effective execution of GDDEI operations. He/she will be a creative thinker with extensive operational management experience in pharmaceutical R&D. He/she will be highly adept at strategic planning and execution, solving complex operational challenges and liaising with multiple stakeholders across the organization.
The position will be based in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Leading a small global team to oversee GDDEI day to day operations, providing strategic, organizational, operational and decision support
- Define the operational strategy and business model for GDDEI in alignment with the R&D strategy, including assessment of strategic capabilities, efficient resource management & prioritization, in/outsourcing strategy, technology assessment/upgrades, facilities and infrastructure, in collaboration with GDDEI functions and other stakeholders. Advise on, scenario development, trade-off implications and the evaluation of capital and other investment needs
- Develop operational tools and best practices to drive functional excellence. Establish and lead a process for cross-functional planning and inter-dependencies, monitor functional budget and alignment on prioritization to maximize productivity
- Assess functional footprint and facilities needs globally, identify and secure laboratory and office space to support planned activities and future expansion. Liaise the needs with stakeholders inside and outside GDDEI
- Play a critical role, in collaboration with GDDEI functions, in assessing laboratory technologies and platforms, partnering and/or leveraging opportunities internally and externally to bring new solutions to Ferring drug discovery
- Playing a key role on the GDDEI leadership team, supporting the growth agenda, setting and monitoring key performance indicators, and ensuring adherence to timelines/deliverables
- Support the GDDEI head in proactive planning and execution of all departmental meetings and relevant governance bodies including preparation of materials for pipeline, financial and operational presentations and reporting
- Build a strong interface and partnership with other R&D functions (finance, project & portfolio management, procurement, IT and communications) to communicate on GDDEI plans/deliverables and follow up on requirements and actions
- Foster a culture of transparency, trust, high performance and change readiness
- +10 years of experience in pharmaceutical R&D in operations and strategy roles, preferably with industry experience (e.g. pharma, biotech, CRO, academia research)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required; an advanced degree (i.e. MD, PhD, MS, MBA degree) is desirable
- Strong strategic vision, experience with innovative operational strategy and planning in a global environment, improving processes that positively impact functional productivity
- The position requires a working knowledge of drug discovery and early stage clinical development processes and best practices
- Proven track record of team leadership and multi-stakeholder management, with ability to interface effectively and positively across all levels within the organization
- Demonstrated ability to work globally and effectuate change, well-developed influencing and negotiation skills
- Clear sense of accountability, an ability to empower people, and high degree of mutual respect and integrity
- Detail-oriented mindset with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel up to 10-15% annually is required
Please note that we review applications on an on-going basis and close the process when we find the right match – the sooner you apply the better are your chances.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals is a leader in reproductive medicine and women’s health, and in specialty areas within gastroenterology and urology. At Ferring International PharmaScience Center (IPC) in Copenhagen we are nearly 600 people, primarily scientists and specialists working to break new land to help people live better lives. We focus our R&D efforts on peptide-based drugs and biotechnology derived medicines.
As a privately-owned company we benefit from the privilege to think and work with a long-term horizon. You will experience the same freedom in your search for new solutions. Your desire to innovate and explore will contribute to fulfilling our ambition of becoming the world’s leading company within reproductive medicine and women’s health. If you need help, you will find it. If you want challenges, they are right in front of you. If you are looking for freedom to find your own way, you are trusted to do so. If you want to make a mark in the world for the better, you feel just like the rest of us. Read more at ferring.com
Location: Ferring Denmark