Powering Possibilities …for Today & Tomorrow!
A leader in sustainable energy, TransAlta has over 100 years of experience generating power and is one of Canada’s top 50 Socially Responsible Companies since 2009, recognized as a global leader for sustainability and corporate responsibility standards. TransAlta operates 75 facilities in three countries; Australia, Canada, and United States.
TransAlta is committed to fostering a dynamic, productive and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountability, strong leadership and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
As part of the Innovation & Data team at TransAlta, the Data Engineer is responsible for designing, building and maintaining the data pipelines that power our digital transformation.
- Work closely with business partners and IT team to deliver high-performance, complex data pipelines that support analytics and automation tools
- Support the design and build of modern, cloud-based data systems that will meet TransAlta’s complex and fast-evolving data requirements
- Contribute to data initiatives as a technical resource by providing design considerations, cost estimates and identifying best practices
- Analyze existing data pipelines to suggest and implement improvements which reduce application issues and enhance performance
- Ensure that data users and consumers use data responsibly through executing data governance and compliance initiatives
- Provide coverage and backup support with a small, multi-disciplinary customer team (software & analytics)
- Perform peer code reviews as required
- Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in computer science, software engineering or related quantitative field
- 5+ years of work experience in data management disciplines including data integration and data modeling
- 3+ years of work experience in cross-functional teams and collaborating with business stakeholders in support of data management and analytics initiatives.
- Experienced programmer with a good understanding of software design patterns and principles and ability to apply them within a cloud environment
- Demonstrated capability to identify and resolve technical, operational, and organizational problems
- Capability to develop and communicate complex project plans to stakeholders at all levels of an organization
- 5+ years of working experience with general scripting & programming languages (C#, Java, Python & SQL)
- 5+ years of working experience with common database technologies, including relational and NoSQL databases
- 3+ years of working experience with Apache Spark or similar distributed computing platform
- 3+ years of working experience with Azure Data Factory or similar data flow and integration tools
- Good communication skills and ability to translate business requirements to technical solutions
- Ability to manage time and work effectively to ensure maximum business value
- Working knowledge in any of the following areas is considered an asset:
- Familiarity with energy trading, electricity or natural gas markets
- Data virtualization
- Telemetry and messaging platforms
- Data science and advanced analytics
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition.
Come on board!
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. Some positions may require the successful completion of one or more background checks such as criminal, medical, or compliance. If these verifications are needed, they will be indicated on the job posting.