- Apply your software development skills and knowledge in large-scale projects
- Contribute towards software design & development of nationwide energy rating systems
- Exciting term opportunities with flexible work arrangements – mix of home & office!
CSIRO is looking for an early career Software Developer with a passion for software engineering and an enthusiasm for contributing to Australia’s residential energy efficiency to join the Energy business unit.
CSIRO’s ‘Building Simulation, Assessment and Communications’ Group develops and supports software used to demonstrate compliance with Construction Code standards under the Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme. In this capacity, CSIRO supports more than 600 energy raters and over $50 billion in construction activity per year.
As a Software Developer, you will join a dynamic and talented team of computer scientists, software engineers and data scientists, who design, build and deliver the technologies that model energy consumption and create outstanding user experience. You will use your expertise in software development to primarily focus on a suite of web applications, assisting in the design and implementation of software updates and test versions.
Your duties will include:
- Working in a team of Software Engineers and Research Scientists on developing the next generation of cloud-based solutions. In particular,
- Chenath Engine and AUSZEH Design – residential energy modelling tools that are supported by an e-commerce platform known as the HStar Portal.
- AccuRate Cloud Services – next generation of household thermal rating tools currently being developed. This includes:
- AccuRate Enterprise, a web application to create building models for energy consumption simulations
- Watson, a streamlined version of AccuRate Enterprise where you will integrate third-party apps into the data input workflow
- Sherlock, a library that provides feedback and UX improvement widgets to AccuRate Enterprise
- Liveability Real Estate is a property appraisal and real estate training system, which includes a public facing website, learning management system, e-commerce platform and other functions.
- Developing new functions including neural networks, data handling and visualisation services and third-party integrations with CSIRO’s modelling tools and databases.
- With guidance from Senior Engineers, liaising with stakeholders to understand system requirements, develop and test software solutions, and provide system support as required.
- Developing and documenting software that is used by our researchers and our external clients.
- Under general direction, participating in planning projects and accepting responsibility for the scheduling and completion of major parts of projects, including allocating and directing tasks where appropriate.
- Adapting and/or developing original software in support of existing and further research, promptly addressing where methods may not be defined, and taking initiative in seeking new approaches to meet technological needs.
Location: Clayton, VIC
Salary: AU$85K – AU$96K (pro-rata for part time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term roles of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in Software Development.
- Experience and knowledge in at least some of the following programs:
- Microsoft .NET Framework
- C# Programming Language
- ASP.NET MVC 5
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Understanding of TDD (Test Driven Development) methodologies
- TFVC (Source Control)
- Azure SQL Services
- Azure App Services
- Azure DevOps
- Azure Blob Storage
- Experience in the residential energy efficiency, energy rating, thermal performance modelling or other similar domain.
For full details about this role please review the
To be eligible for this role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, an Australian Permanent Resident, or an Australian Temporary Resident currently residing in Australia.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia’s national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
12 October 2021, 11:00pm ADST