QinetiQ Target Systems (QTS) Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of QinetiQ Group PLC specialising in the design and manufacture of a range of state-of-the-art Unmanned Aerial and Surface Target systems including the world leading Banshee target. QTS targets are used to enable realistic weapons test and evaluation and operator training in over 40 countries worldwide with QTS providing a complete managed service in over 15 of these countries.
QinetiQ Canada is an entity of QinetiQ Ltd that delivers products, solutions, and services to Canadian Defence and Government organizations. Focusing on Targets, Test & Evaluation, and Training & Rehearsal, we work with customers throughout the entire life cycle of a project to ensure they are mission ready. Our suite of products for aerial, surface and maritime threats, surveillance, and unmanned vehicles, are designed for customer success. With bases in Medicine Hat, AB, Ottawa, ON and Ashford, UK, we bring the most advanced technology, the brightest minds, and a global reaching network to make mission-led innovation the QinetiQ difference.
We are currently seeking to recruit a Software Engineer to join our team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Software Engineer is responsible for the software design, development, testing, and documentation of both firmware, vehicle software & control station software of unmanned vehicles systems at QinetiQ Target Systems. The ideal candidate will have proven experience of working within a multi-disciplined environment alongside electronic engineers, mechanical engineers and production engineers. A strong track record of software design and implementation of critical systems is necessary. Knowledge of avionic, marine, and vehicular systems is advantageous.
- Development of the system requirements and specifications.
- Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Design of software systems as per the requirements and safety regulations.
- Managing the software development lifecycle.
- Knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills with an ability to visualise processes and outcomes.
- Applying best practices and standard operating procedures.
- Be a role model and mentor to junior engineers within the team.
- Communicating key project data to team members.
- Development of documentation for software design validation, qualification, safety and interoperability of systems.
- Project management of design projects.
- Working in conjunction with other technical disciplines & departments to achieve overall system requirements.
- Working in conjunction with other departments to meet operational requirements including field testing.
- Creating and/or assisting with cost estimates for new products and services.
- Creating and completing software tests, software releases and other technical documents.
- Configuration and version control of software and firmware.
- Additional tasks as assigned by superior.
Education/Work Experience Requirements:
- Membership in APEGA (or eligibility).
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer engineering or equivalent.
- Computer proficiency (Document Management Software, MS Office – Word, Excel, and Outlook).
Additional desirable assets would include:
- Project Management
- Technical writing
- Electronic System Design
- Proven Coding skills C, C++ Python.
- Experience in avionics, marine and vehicular military systems.
- Understanding of complex systems.
- Ability to follow and understand electronic schematics and drawings.
- Experienced in working in a multi-disciplined team with electronic and mechanical engineers.
- Strong communications, prioritization, organizational skills.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work under stress and tight schedules.
- Strong critical thinking ability.
- High attention to detail.
- Strong writing skill.
- Ability to take responsibility for delivering to timescales.
- Self-motivated and punctual.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada.
- Able to obtain a Level 2 Security Clearance.
- Must have a clean background history and obtain criminal record check.
- This position is safety sensitive due work requirements of being on the factory floor near equipment and field deployment and testing requirements.