Reports to: Sr. Manager, Process Engineering
Purpose of the Role: The Design Engineer will be responsible for carrying out the duties of the Process Engineering department, including design, prototyping, engineering documentation, estimating, and process improvements. The successful candidate will collaborate with other Process Engineering team members and other LifeLabs’ functional departments that are dedicated and passionate about safety, technology, and innovation. The role will primarily support activities in Ontario with occasional support to other provinces.
- Create models and drawings for safety and operational process improvements using SolidWorks and AutoCAD software.
- Design manual jigs and fixtures with supervision.
- Design functional layouts.
- Design automated or semi-automated bench top equipment with supervision and confirm designs with the Senior Manager of Process Engineering.
- Perform engineering calculations and analysis.
- Construct prototypes and perform physical testing of engineering prototypes.
- Ensure components and assemblies adhere to applicable industry and business standards.
- Liaise with suppliers and vendors.
- Assist Process Engineering with equipment and project implementations
- Maintain existing Process Engineering drawing database
- Maintain existing Process Engineering Share Point site
- Maintain Process Engineering folders on S drive
- Create job aids and operational documents.
- Development of software tools to support laboratory functions
- Creation of large operational dashboards
- Support existing software tools already developed and implemented
- Provide training to LifeLabs’ personnel on PE developed software tools
- Provides engineering information by answering questions and requests
- Attends company meetings and events.
- Occasional travel to regional labs and LifeLabs’ British Columbia facilities
Minimum Hiring Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree from a recognized university in Mechatronics, Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- Registration with the Engineering Association in Ontario as an Engineer in Training oeligibility for same.
- Proficiency with creation of models and drawings for safety and operational process improvements using SolidWorks and AutoCAD software.
- Knowledge of Manual jigs and fixtures designs.
- Knowledge of engineering calculations and analysis.
- Proficiency in the construction of prototypes and testing of engineering prototypes.
- Experience with implementations of equipment into a production environment.
- Experience of engineering report writing
- Working knowledge of Solid Works and/or AutoCAD
- Strong programming skills: Visual Basic scripts and Macros
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, SharePoint)
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Excellent organizational, planning and problem solving skills
- Creative, outgoing, confident.
- Demonstrated ability working efficiently in a remote work settings and on site.
View & Apply