At ApplyBoard, we are building a movement – an education revolution. We’re building a world where anyone, anywhere can have access to the best education regardless of where they were born. At our core, we believe education is a right, not a privilege. To that end, we’re building a company and a suite of products to lead the charge in transforming access to education.
We are a company with an ambitious vision – to educate the world. Since our founding in 2015, we have supported more than 100,000 students with their education journey and work with 1,200+ educational institutions across Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom diversify their campuses.
As part of the Test Automation Team, your mission is to create/support robust testing frameworks for achieving best testing results and faster delivery to the production through CI/CD pipeline.
As the Software Engineer in Test, you are responsible for driving and ensuring the quality of the software in the Recruitment and Channel Management Domains. This includes the creation, evolvement, and tracking testing in concept with the establishment of appropriate test plans. The Quality Principal will work and co-ordinate with the software engineers to measure and track the quality metrics including things such as defects and coverage.
The Software Engineer in Test will coordinate with the other members of the quality team to ensure that quality and testing is inclusive of integrations, system, and regression tests and test coverage is delivered.
What you’ll be doing every day:
- Work with DevOPs/Development team to implement overall testing plan including unit testing, API and end to end tests
- Write maintainable and reliable code
- Implement test automation for Ruby on Rails, NodeJS, Python and React microservices running in Kubernetes clusters.
- Come up with the new ideas about improving the testing frameworks and test suites.
- Identify, evaluate, report and document defects during the design and implementation phase.
- Escalate issues to Development and QA Management quickly and effectively.
- Analyze, epics and stories to validate project requirements to achieve quality end user experience
- Enhance enterprise standards where gaps exist
- Help with root cause analysis, which may identify issues in the API, DB, reporting, front end or even requirements
- Improve the quality and usefulness of existing features, by refactoring, decomposition, bug-fixing and preventive maintenance
- Identify and act on opportunities to improve the way we plan, develop, test and deploy our software
- Lead by example in the practice and promotion of excellence in software engineering
- Serve as an active mentor to less-experienced developers with regards to code quality
What you bring to the table:
- Minimum 5 years of testing experience, ideally in ecommerce solutions
- Minimum 3 years of experience in test automation with real coding experience.
- Several years of practical experience developing and testing web-based commercial software that users love (in any modern tech stack)
- Great communication skills. (Yes, everyone writes that – but we really mean it.)
- Demonstrated ownership and pride in the quality of the software you work on, and the way that it succeeds in meeting the needs of its users
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with Product Owners, Developers, Scrum Masters, DevOps, and IT to ensure delivery of a quality application.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor of Science Degree or higher education (Computer Science or related field is an asset)
Ideally, you also have experience with some of:
- Developing and maintaining products that are used by many thousands or millions of people
- Kafka, Amazon MQ, RabbitMQ or similar streaming or messaging systems
- EdTech, eCommerce, or content-management software
- Relational databases, ORM frameworks, and their alternatives
- Microservices or SOA; RESTful APIs, JSON
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, ELK stack
- DevOps, Observability, Infrastructure as Code
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have an impact on a product that is positively affecting change to thousands of students lives every day
- Working alongside a brilliant and globally diverse team based in Waterloo and Toronto
- Great compensation and benefits package to keep you healthy and happy!
Life at ApplyBoard:
By joining our team, you have the opportunity to:
· Join the fastest-growing technology company in Canada, with many opportunities for growth and advancement.
· Work alongside a globally diverse team of over 500 team members based in 18 countries, who represent over 30 nationalities and speak more than 40 languages
· Make a difference in the lives of thousands of students as they explore educational opportunities
Want to learn more about Life at ApplyBoard? Check out this video , and be sure to follow us on our Life at ApplyBoard Instagram .
Hear our engineers share stories about their life at ApplyBoard
ApplyBoard simplifies the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process by connecting international students, recruitment partners, and academic institutions on one platform. To date, ApplyBoard has become the world’s largest online platform for international student recruitment, assisting more than 100,000 students with their educational journey.
In 2019, ApplyBoard was named the fastest-growing technology company in Canada by Deloitte, ranking #1 on the Technology Fast 50™ list. In May 2020, ApplyBoard announced a C$100M Series C funding on a C$2B valuation, reaching a ‘Unicorn’ status. This funding will allow us to further invest in our technology, grow our team, and serve more students on our mission to educate the world.