Location : Cologne, Germany Role overview
Frontier is an economic consultancy that tackles the big questions facing governments, businesses and society We help our clients to analyse and understand their markets and to formulate strategies based on sound economics. The methods and models we use are often complex, but our advice is always succinct, clear and honest. We use our analysis to provide insight into complex situations, giving clients jargon-free opinions and results that can withstand even the closest scrutiny.
We advise across sectors and countries and we are one of the largest economic consultancies in Europe with more than 200 Economists based in our offices in Brussels, Berlin, Cologne, Dublin, London, Paris and Madrid. Owned entirely by our staff, our business attracts the best people and the most interesting work. We go beyond the numbers to find out what’s really going on. Our clients enjoy objective advice, clearly expressed. With our help, they make better decisions and get better results.
About the internship
We aim to make your time with us as meaningful and interesting as possible. This internship will run for 8 to 12 weeks and is affiliated with our Energy practice in our office in Cologne. The specific focus of this internship is to support our Analysts and Consultants on different questions of energy system optimisation. Frontier hosts a suit of proprietary optimisation models and is looking to expand its capabilities in this area.
On the first days of your internship, you will have an induction covering different areas of Frontier and you will receive some basic training on various software packages and programmes that we use. You will also meet your mentor, who has the responsibility for giving you advice, day-to-day guidance and feedback on your performance. You will discuss with your mentor what practices you will work in and what projects you are initially working on.
You will also have a “buddy” – an Analyst who is on hand to answer any general queries you have about Frontier. During your internship you will find yourself working in project teams with Analysts, Consultants and Directors. You will receive guidance, feedback and support throughout your internship and we welcome your feedback on us too. After successful completion of the full-time internship, we offer a temporary contract as Research Associate with flexible working hours or you can apply to become an Analyst.
We recognise that during the pandemic work arrangements need to be flexible. We therefore offer the option to work from home and will provide the necessary equipment during the internship.
You will be responsible for:
- Delivering a robust and accurate technical or theoretical analysis in a timely way, guided by more experienced consultants
- Work closely with our Analysts and Consultants to develop new functionalities or enhance existing models in our portfolio of energy market models
- Developing your technical and modelling skills
- Working collaboratively with your project team/s as appropriate, while also being able to work alone on a piece of analysis seeking support when required
- Managing your own work and time to ensure you meet the agreed project deadlines, seeking advice from more experienced consultants as required; and,
- Work with Frontier economists across EMEA.
- You will be predicted or have obtained a strong university degree in Economics, Industrial Engineering, Energy Engineering or equivalent
- Strong interest and understanding of energy markets and the underlying economics
- First experience with optimisation problems and algebraic modelling languages (e.g. GAMS)
- Command of R or Python
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment
- Ability to meet deadlines
What you need to do next
If you are excited about this opportunity, we’d love to hear from you! Submit your application now!
(We would strongly encourage applicants to apply early as positions will close once vacancies are filled)
When applying please only submit one application. You can still select other offices that you are interested in on the application form.
Please note that you are not required to upload a photo to your CV.
Frontier Economics is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law. Job Type Temp
Contract Type Temporary